Welcome to the HCCC Library's LibGuide for English 102: Preventing Childhood Obesity!
What is Childhood Obesity?
Childhood obesity is a condition in which a child is significantly above the normal weight for their age and height. It is caused by an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended. Factors that contribute to childhood obesity include a lack of physical activity, unhealthy eating habits, genetics, and family lifestyle. Overweight and obese children are at an increased risk for a number of health problems including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, bone and joint problems, and social and psychological problems.
What are simple ways to prevent Childhood Obesity?
1. Encourage healthy eating habits: Healthy eating habits can help prevent childhood obesity. Include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in a child’s diet, and limit the amount of processed foods and snacks.
2. Increase physical activity: Encourage children to be active for at least 60 minutes a day.
3. Limit screen time: Set limits on the amount of time a child spends watching television and playing video games.
4. Promote healthy self-esteem: Help children develop a positive body image by focusing on what they can do rather than how they look.
5. Get enough sleep: Ensure the child is getting enough sleep and is well rested.
6. Be a role model: Set a good example by maintaining a healthy lifestyle yourself.
Click any of the links listed below for research help.