Skip to Main Content
Welcome to 2023!
We are very excited to see new and familiar faces back on campus!
What is an Zero-Cost Textbook Course at HCCC?
A Zero-Cost Textbook course at Hudson County Community College is a course wherein students will not have to purchase a textbook.
* Zero-Cost Textbook courses can be created by faculty using exclusively licensed OER materials or in combination with materials which are free at the point of access for students.
* Supplementary materials may be required.
HCCC Open Educational Resources Goals
- Provide access to current educational materials and resources that align with quality academic standards
- Promote mastery of student learning outcomes
- Provide instructional materials at no cost to students
- Promote access to learning by meeting individual needs and interests
- Increase student engagement using innovative learning materials and experiences
- Improve teaching and learning through collaborations
- Advance creativity and innovation in teaching
I'm interested in developing an OER course. What next?
- Notify your coordinator and division dean
- Upon doing so, you will be assigned to one of the aforementioned priorities.
- Meet with librarian and Instructional Technologist to discuss needs
- In collaboration with librarian, curate course materials, conform with IP law and ADA requirements
- In collaboration with Instructional Technologist, field materials on Canvas
- Present course to OER Committee for review and approval
- Submit course data on student engagement and student success to OER Committee as requested
- At the end of term, complete a survey and return it to the OER Committee
- Regularly inspect to insure that course materials remain available
© 2023 Hudson County Community College. All Rights Reserved.