Skip to main content
The College Libraries are now open to the HCCC community -
What is OER?
Open Educational Resources OER are teaching, learning or research materials that are in the public domain or released with intellectual property licenses that facilitate the free use, adaptation and distribution of resources.
Top 10 Open Educational Resources Sites
Open textbooks in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Social Science and more.
Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching.
A digital library to search and discover OERs, including open textbooks, course, lecture, assignments, etc.
Create an account and join HCCC group
A growing collection of professional quality, peer-reviewed, editable intro-level textbooks, all licensed by Creative Commons.
Open SUNY Textbooks
A growing collection of openly licensed textbooks in a wide variety of topics.
Open Textbook Library
A collection of over 300 freely available electronic textbooks licensed under Creative Commons licenses.
Includes over 100 open textbooks and open courses under Creative Commons licenses.
The 5R of OER
The terms "open content" and "open educational resources" describe any copyrightable work (traditionally excluding software, which is described by other terms like "open source") that is licensed in a manner that provides users with free and perpetual permission to engage in the 5R activities:
- Retain - the right to make, own, and control copies of the content (e.g., download, duplicate, store, and manage)
- Reuse - the right to use the content in a wide range of ways (e.g., in a class, in a study group, on a website, in a video)
- Revise - the right to adapt, adjust, modify, or alter the content itself (e.g., translate the content into another language)
- Remix - the right to combine the original or revised content with other material to create something new (e.g., incorporate the content into a mashup)
- Redistribute - the right to share copies of the original content, your revisions, or your remixes with others (e.g., give a copy of the content to a friend)
This material was created by David Wiley and published freely under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license at http://opencontent.org/definition/.
© 2020 Hudson County Community College. All Rights Reserved.